[NAGDU] looking for suggestions regarding stress while wearing dog shoes

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Mon Dec 10 19:28:45 UTC 2018

Hello all, my guide, Larry, is 3 now and will be 4 in March 2019. I
confess that I have not used the dog shoes a lot since getting him when
he was almost 2. However, this past summer when I really needed them
because of the very hot Texas weather, I put them on him and it stressed
him out a lot. So much that he peed while we were doing nothing more
than standing while waiting for our ride. I remember learning how I
should put 2 on at a time and then play a little with him to show him
it's no big deal, but the issue with this is that I dropped the ball and
didn't get him used to them. Then when the summer came around, it was
necessary to avoid him walking on extremely hot concrete while trying to
get from the building we working at to our ride.

If someone has suggestions on how I can minimize this and try to get him
to see this as fun, please let me know. Yes, I also realize that doing
this when it was needed right away wasn't the smartest thing. So, now
that we are in winter-time in Texas where they are definitely not
needed, I'd like to start getting him used to them so as the weather
gets warmer, he will be used to it by then.

Thanks.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
First Vice President - NFB of Texas Houston Chapter
Email: raul at raulgallegos.com
Twitter: @rga7285

“Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" - Dr. Kenneth Jernigan