[NAGDU] Delta bans kittens and puppies as support animals on all flights and all emotional support animals on longer hauls

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 17:04:40 UTC 2018

I am very glad NAGDU is making an effort to communicate with airlines to ensure their policies our legal and beneficial. That being said, I hope NAGDU keep in mind all types of service dogs and disabilities, not just focused on protecting blind people and guide dogs. I of coarse recognize that NAGDU Would be primarily focused on the rights of individuals with visual impairments, but I just thought this was a point to bring up.
I actually think Delta made A good decision with this policy. No dog under four months old has enough training to be a service dog, or even reliable enough obedience training to be an ESA in terms of air travel. Delta  went for that extreme young age where people should be able to easily tell the dog is a puppy. Then again, I remember having a four month old puppy in a pet friendly public place and half the people I encountered thought she was a service dog I assume because I was using my cane... I doubt this will be too much of an issue for guide dog users since guide dogs are rarely under about 50 pounds or so, but I wonder how this would affect people with smaller or medium breeds.

Danielle

Sent from my iPhone