[NAGDU] Harness aversion

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Feb 8 00:50:58 UTC 2018

Yiska,

How is he once you get the harness on? Does he seem uncomfortable,
unhappy to go to work, or anything like that. If that is the case, a
different harness might help. If he's comfy in the harness and happy to
go to work, it could be that he just doesn't like the putting on part.

Both of my poodles like to play slow-speed chase at harness time. It
used to worry me, but I heard of other poodles doing the same thing.
Once the harness is on, then they're good to go. I really decided to
stop worrying when I noticed that Mitzi would end the game by "hiding"
behind my husband, with her collar in just the right place for him to
take hold of it so I could come put the harness on. She thought this was
pretty funny. Silly dog. Loki has a different routine, but he is also
the one who arranges to end up cornered and nabbed. It seems to mean
something to them, so I spend a minute or two playing the game.

Poor Loki. One day, I was getting ready to go somewhere. Just as I was
at the point where I usually go to grab the harness so that he can hide
from me, I remember something or other I had to do. So there he was,
hiding under the desk, waiting to be discovered and brought out. And
waiting. he came out to check on me, decided I might be ready to get on
with the game, and whisked back to the desk. But no. After a couple of
checks, he finally just came out, flopped down on the bed with a big,
put-upon sigh and waited for me to get it together so we could go. When
I did grab the harness, he didn't bother to hide, just waited for me to
put it on him and go. Finally. He's a silly boy.

Tami