[NAGDU] information for Kerri about the Seeing Eye

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 22:24:19 UTC 2018

Hello Kerri,

Thanks for asking about changes at the Seeing Eye campus.

I got my third dog Barbara in 2015, so I was in Morristown fairly recently.

The building went through significant renovations, and I won't attempt to
describe all of them here, but I wanted to point out that each sleeping room
now has a small refrigerator which is great for keeping fruit and other
snacks on hand.

The dormitory area also has wifi, so there isn't a need to use the tech
center to access the Internet, but it was still operational when I was
there.

Also, the rooms have much better security as we use key cards to unlock the
doors, and this is also the case when coming back in to the building from
park time or from a trip.

As for feeding our dogs, the instructors will give you a container which
already has food to last until you go home and a measuring cup, so you don't
have to wait on someone to bring the pans of food at morning and night
feedings.

I really liked that change as I felt like I bonded more completely with
Barbara by having a chance to feed her and get a sense of how she reacts
around food.

She is a yellow lab who lives for food, so I always have her sit and wait
until I finish putting food in to her bowl. Otherwise, she will try to start
eating before I put her food down.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

As for the medical questions, I would contact the school about that.

Please feel free to contact me off list if I can help in any way.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Campbell

President, Texas Association of Guide Dog Users

Live the life you want!

Email: batescampbell at gmail.com <mailto:batescampbell at gmail.com>

Phone: 817-523-9998

www.facebook.com/txagdu <http://www.facebook.com/txagdu>