[NAGDU] Question about walking the [other] dog

Matt Hackert matt.hackert at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 17:24:37 UTC 2018

Good morning, fellow dog guide users,
I have a question, not pertaining so much to guide dogs as it pertains to non-visual work with pets. I have my Seeing Eye dog Igloo, and his performance is great. But our family adopted an additional member over the summer, a rescue dog, most likely a Dane-Mastiff mix, but we don't know for sure. Anyway, she's definitely high energy, and is experiencing cabin fever, evidenced by the fact that she is frequently finding her way out of the fence.

Here's my question: does anybody have suggestions for a safe way to walk the dog, which is not a guide? I have no sight or light perception, so it would either have to be both dogs, or the puppy and a cane. She's strong though, and not totally accustomed to loose leash walking yet, and I could easily imagine a situation where I could lose my grip on her and/or my cane.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Much appreciated,
Matt

E-mail me @ matt.hackert at gmail.com