[NAGDU] Training with my first dog while taking two light[er] online college courses?

Bianka bianka at andi-bika.de
Sun Feb 18 14:06:51 UTC 2018

Hello Miranda,

A few years back I got a dog just after I had moved to a new arrea. The added stress made my bonding with the dog very difficult for me. Getting a dog can be stressful and very emotional at times. For me this means the time I spend in training is reserved for me and my dog. Usually I was very tired in the evenings and little things took longer than before as my dog and I had to get used to each other‘s ways.

I don‘t know from personal experience how training is done at the schools in the U. S. And therefore cannot give you my opinion whether your schedule sounds realistic. However, as a guide dog user of now 15 years I would say that the first weeks with your dog are really important and you might want to use them the best possible way you can. If you feel the online course will not take your focus away too much from your dog then this might be an option. Just keep in mind your dog should have priority over your other activities.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bianka