[NAGDU] smelly leather harnesses

Ann Edie Annedie at nycap.rr.com
Fri Feb 23 18:00:01 UTC 2018

Hi, Aleeha,

I suggest cleaning the harness with saddle soap, then using a leather conditioner on it. I use one called Leather Therapy, but there are many others. You can get the saddle soap and conditioners at horse tack shops and I'm sure they are also available online from vet supply or horse supply sites, although I've never bought them that way. This process leaves the leather feeling and smelling great and also keeps the leather supple and helps it last longer.

Back in the early 1990's when I was at the Seeing Eye, they used to have all the students spend time on the days before we got the dogs and started using our new leashes and harnesses, going over our tack with saddle soap several times to protect and soften the leather. I wonder do they still do this at TSE or any other school? They also taught us how to remove the hardware from the leash and then shorten the leash a bit, in case the leash stretched from being pulled on by the dogs or from the handler giving leash corrections. I remember that my Bailey's leash was the only one in our class that didn't need shortening by the end of class. His leash hadn't stretched because he was such a good boy.

Best,
Ann