[NAGDU] A Short Note on the Delta Issue

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 16:35:48 UTC 2018

Thanks for the update, Marion.

Sherry

-----Original Message-----
From: NAGDU [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of NAGDU President
via NAGDU
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2018 9:27 AM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
<nagdu at nfbnet.org>
Cc: NAGDU President <blind411 at verizon.net>
Subject: [NAGDU] A Short Note on the Delta Issue

Dear All,

                I want everyone to know where we are on this. At this point,
our national leadership, including President Riccobono, John Pare, and I are
monitoring the situation and will be speaking together on Monday morning to
craft an official response and action plan. At this point, we have reviewed
the policy and the initial opinion from our legal minds is that it is
incongruent with the Air Carrier Access Act. Since there is no right of
private action, Delta has no real incentive to do anything, since the worst
that might happen to them is that the Department of Transportation orders
them to reverse their policy. The challenge is that other airlines are
considering following suit and this could create an even greater headache.

                The solution we are seeking is a long-term one which would
involve making the Air Carrier Access Act a mirror of the Americans with
disabilities Act, meaning only dogs individually trained to do work or
perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability would be allowed
to enter the aircraft cabin. In the meantime, we are also working to create
ann initiative to offer guidance to airline personnel on how to assess the
suitability of other animals to enter the cabin. For instance, if any of us
have ever been at the gate with an out-of-control animal which the owner is
unable  to  correct, I do not think it would take too many instances of
airlines refusing to allow the animal in the cabin and requiring the owner
purchase a cargo ticket for the offending dog to stop the misrepresentation
of the animal as an ESA.

                For now, what you all can do is to subscribe to our Twitter
feed <@nagdu> and the NAGDU Facebook page. Our national organizations are
posting information there and anything released by the NFB concerning this
issue will be reposted on our feeds. I am also considering having a special
teleconference on this issue in the next couple days; however, all our
efforts are being coordinated with our Jernigan Institute personnel so we
are consistent on our message.

                Please stay tuned to our social media, including this
discussion list for updates and more information. Thank you for your passion
and willingness to take action. We are strong because of you!

Fraternally yours,

Marion\

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.