[NAGDU] Using positive reinforcement instead of punishment

Wayne & Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Sun Jan 21 19:13:04 UTC 2018

*Hello,
Sorry to be late to the party.
I can't remember if Leader taught me to leash correct, and rework, or not.
What I currently do is the following.
1.)  Verbally correct the same time as I.
2.)  Drop the harness handle and draw attention to the obstacle then I.
3.)  Heel the pup back about ten, or twenty feet ( if practical  and safe).
4.)  Re-work the dog towards the overhead obstacle. If he stops, or
veers around the obstacle he gets heaps of verbal praise and once we're
past the obstacle we stop and some hand praise is given too.
For various reasons I don't normally carry treats, or a clicker with me
while on route.
The fact that the known presence of treats draws Harley's focus like
iron filings to a magnet, and that I only have two hands means that I
stick with a Verbal marker and verbal/hand-praise while on route.
I hope this helps.

Wayne And Harley D

k9dad at k9di.org