[NAGDU] Disappointed in Guiding Eyes for the Blind's Response

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jan 25 17:50:36 UTC 2018

Okay, my suggested compromise is showing the rabies tag the dog is wearing
at the airport when I arrive for my scheduled flight. This will avoid
giving advance notice, will have no burden of additional paperwork, will not
cause me to pay for additional vet appointments and will treat me like other
passengers.

Perhaps people don't know some facts about vaccines.  Only a vet can give
the rabies vaccine.  In most/all states the rabies vaccine is the only
legally required vaccine, typically every three years. Vaccines such as
distemper, parvo etc. are suggested by vets, but not legally required.
these diseases are not communicable to people like rabies.  You can give
vaccines like distemper at home yourself, saving time and money.   Also
causing a problem if you choose to exercise this entirely legal option and
then fly using Delta.

There is increasing evidence that giving vaccines every year is actually
harmful.  Numerous studies show that vaccines are active in the body far
longer than a single year.  Over vaccinating can cause physical and behavior
problems.

I am bothered by all the comments stating that I have this health info
anyway, so it's no bother to show it at the airport.  It feels very selfish.
Because it's no bother to me personally, I'm not going to think about anyone
else or the broader implications.

If we want to make progress on this issue, we are going to have to start
thinking inclusively of all people with all types of disabilities, at all
income levels, in big cities and small, with and without a computer, with
big dogs and small, with school provided ID's and not, doing all sorts of
tasks and with varying needs.

The only way I see to do this is to hold people accountable for the behavior
of their dog.  There seems to be a significant barrier in this area.  There
are already provisions to remove a person or service dog if their behavior
is atrocious.  As a society we are reluctant to follow through.  As a
society we make more laws, restricting freedoms even more, because we are
afraid of confronting people.

I'd like to see educational materials on ways businesses can approach a
person with a service or emotional support dog that is behaving badly.
Businesses need very specific, how to, info on addressing this situation in
a way that is respectful, does not escalate the situation and protects the
business from a retaliatory lawsuit.

In all my years of working with guide dogs, reading service dog news
articles, attending various conferences etc.  never once have I come across
an instance where a person was asked to remove their out of control dog that
was handled respectfully and legally.  There is not a single example I can
point to to demonstrate the right thing to do.   News stories highlight out
of control dogs, arrogant people and vague demands that something needs to
be done.

Yes, something needs to be done and that something is to help businesses
feel empowered to follow through with what the law currently provides.

The problem is the behavior of some dogs and the only way to solve that
problem is to do something to address behavior.  Requiring proof of
vaccinations or health has very little to do with behavior.   I believe once
people face actual consequences for their choice to not get their dog
appropriate training they will think seriously about having a repeat
experience.  Also once the news starts reporting what happens to people who
aren't being responsible, the word will get around and people who want to
take advantage will start thinking seriously about their choices.

Humans are motivated by pain or pleasure.  To get lasting results the pain
of taking an untrained dog on a plane has to outweigh the pleasure they get
from having the dog along.  That isn't going to be accomplished with some
paperwork.  It will happen when people experience consequences for their
poor choices.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>