[NAGDU] bulkhead seating

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 04:02:41 UTC 2018

Michael:

The seating issue goes back to the poor training of airport staff.  Far too
many of them still insist that a blind person always take the bulkhead seat
when we travel with our dogs.  Some will listen when we explain our reasons
for requesting a regular seat but too many of them argue and insist we sit
in the bulkhead or else be removed from the flight.  I wish the airlines
would allow us to help train their staff how to deal with guide dog handlers
and our dogs.  The same lack of training often happens going through
security.  Most of the time I can just explain that I will step through
first then call my dog.  This is quick and I get on to my gate with plenty
of time.  On the other hand, sometimes I have had guards push me through or
try to pull my dog away from me without me telling them how I want them to
handle my dog.  I do not understand why they have to feel all along the dog.
Anyone can see that there is no place to hide anything under their harness.
Some dogs get very nervous when being touched by strangers.  I would rather
take off the harness and let it go through in the basket while I take my dog
through as she is wearing an airport leash that has no metal to cause the
alarms to go off.  I have had too many experience when I am suddenly
surrounded by several big burly guards all shouting at once.  In addition to
being totally blind I have an auditory processing disorder that makes it
impossible for me to process what is being said when too many people are
talking all at once and complicated by all the other background noises at
the security check points.  My stress level when going through security is
always extremely high as a result of all this confusion.  Some guards will
let me slip my shoes off and step right through the scanner but others push
and pull me over to some chairs to give me a pat down.  This takes up a lot
of time, makes me late for my flight and makes me feel like I am being
treated as a criminal when I have not done anything wrong.  All these
problems could be handled with much less stress if only the airline staff
were better trained and everyone knew what to do and what to expect with a
guide or service dog.  If the staff were better trained they would be able
to spot those fake service dogs who are not behaving properly.  It is so
frustrating to me that I am always very anxious and reluctant any time I
have to fly.

Sandra Johnson
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net