[NAGDU] GDB

nellie at culodge.com nellie at culodge.com
Sat Jan 27 04:09:16 UTC 2018

Disregard if this has already been shared:

Please see the note below from Chris Benninger, CEO

**

Dear GDB Alumni:

As you know, last Friday Delta Airlines announced changes to their policy
for customers traveling with Service Animals.  As promised, we are following
up with you to share our official position and action plan.

Guide Dogs for the Blind understands the airlines' desire to address the
ever increasing challenges presented by passengers flying with animals and
falsely representing them as Service Animals.  Guide Dogs for the Blind
believes that these animals who have not been trained to behave
appropriately in public pose a threat to the safety of guide dog teams and
other passengers. However, it is the position of Guide Dogs for the Blind
that the proposed policy change at Delta is in direct violation of the Air
Carrier Access Act. The new regulations are discriminatory in nature and
cause an undue hardship on individuals who are disabled and who travel with
the assistance of a properly trained service dog.

-          Requiring service dog handlers to present a health certificate
for their dogs 48 hours prior to flying is discriminatory as it does not
allow for last-minute or emergency travel. Further, it presents an undue
hardship on the handler as no other passengers have to submit similar
paperwork prior to travel.  The Air Carrier Access Act clearly states that
passengers with disabilities do not need to let airlines know about their
disability prior to flying.

-          Requiring persons with service dogs to check in "at the counter"
is discriminatory as it does not allow equal access to all services provided
by the airline including curbside and online check-in.  The Air Carrier
Access Act was designed to ensure that persons with disabilities would have
free and equal access to the same services as other passengers.

Further, the proposed policy does not directly address the issue of
ill-behaved animals and their negative impact on the travel experience for
people of all abilities.

Guide Dogs for the Blind is requesting a meeting with Delta airlines as well
as a consortium of other airlines to discuss this matter further and to help
them develop a solution that does not infringe on the rights of our clients
and other handlers of legitimate service animals.  If you are also concerned
about this new policy we encourage you to let your voice be heard. You can
file a complaint at
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint, or by
phone at : ((202) 366-2220 <tel:(202)%20366-2220> .

We will keep you posted on any further developments.

Very Best,

Christine Benninger, CEO

 <http://www.guidedogs.com/>

Guide Dogs for the Blind

Christine Benninger  |  President & CEO

cbenninger at guidedogs.com |  415.492.4188 <tel:+4154924188>
350 Los Ranchitos Road, San Rafael, CA 94903
 <http://www.guidedogs.com/> GuideDogs.com