[NAGDU] Leader Dogsresponse to Delta

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Tue Jan 30 03:54:45 UTC 2018

Dear Client,

We would like to update you on Delta Airlines' new rules on traveling with a
service or support animal. These rules go into effect March 1, 2018.

We have discussed the requirements with our Delta contacts at Detroit
Metropolitan Airport (DTW) and how they affect our clients returning home
after training with their Leader Dogs. Subsequently, we have put an internal
process in place so clients returning home from Leader Dog will not have any
issues getting their dogs through security and onto their flights.

We are working with Assistance Dogs International and the Council of US Dog
Guide Schools regarding how to address the new rules as an industry. We feel
that responding to Delta as a united, organized industry will have the most
impact on making Delta understand how the new rules do not follow ADA
regulations. A uniform response from all guide dog organizations is
especially important as we expect other airlines to follow suit. We will
keep you updated on the steps taken in the future.

In the interim, we would like to clarify a few of the requirements Delta has
put in place.

1.       There are two forms you must complete prior to your flight.

a.       A Service Request Form available at delta.com/mytrips. You must
attach a Veterinary Health Form (see b. below) to the service request.

b.       You must submit a completed Veterinary Health Form at least 48
hours prior to your flight. Your dog's Veterinary Health Form is good for
one year from the date your veterinarian signs the form.

2.       Upon arrival at the airport you must have your request verified by
a Delta Representative at the Delta check-in counter.

3.       You must keep the completed paperwork with you while traveling at
all times.

4.       You can review the entire guidelines at
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/special-travel-nee
ds/service-animals.html

We understand that the requirements constitute a major inconvenience and
create discriminatory issues. We will continue to work towards a resolution
that is equitable for all involved.

Regards,

Susan M. Daniels

President and CEO