[NAGDU] on a lighter note

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 30 20:53:33 UTC 2018

Julie,

	I have been researching the ACAA today preparing for our meeting on Friday. I wanted to let you know that I take a very different position on owner-training than you set forth. When people criticize owner-trainers for attempting to do something that should be left to a "professional" trainer, they sometimes assert that owner-trained dogs are not as well trained as program dogs and, by extension, are not as well-behaved. What I say is that, in all my years of exposure to owner-trained dogs, I have only found one dog that did not seem well-behaved. On the contrary, though, I point out that I have come across many a program dog that was not well-behaved. I believe owner-trainers are more diligent guide dog users than the average guide dog user, since their reputation is more at stake!

	I loke your idea of giving a card with some information on it when asked for i.d. We will need to think about this, as this could be a fantastic PR campaign!

Fraternally yours,
Marion

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.