[NAGDU] convention thoughts and a huge thank you!

Charlene Ota caota4 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:30:53 UTC 2018

Julie, I totally respect your decision and what you're going through! Working with a guide dog is a very personal choice each of us makes; retiring them is even more a personal decision and one of the most difficult ones of all!  With my boy as old as he is, he's 13 and ahalf now, his arthritis is so bad that I've pretty much retired him completely now. I remember a couple months ago running into an acquaintance on the Paratransit bus on the way home from work. He was trying to be chatty, I guess, and he started to ask me when I was going to put Irish down. At least he had a little bit of sense to stop in the middle of the question!  If I could see, I'm sure I would have been staring daggers at him! I felt his question didn't even deserve a response, so it was a quiet trip the rest of the way home. I know the insensitive things people can say sometimes!

Charlene