[NAGDU] Booking Amtrak With a Service Animal

Daryl crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 7 02:05:06 UTC 2018

I will be traveling on Amtrak in September. I booked my ticket last fall, when I had some extra money and my job got permanent. That's a whole other story. But because I chose to book a sleeper car for my trip, I figured it was probably best to disclose the presence of my service dog. They asked a whole bunch of questions, such as how long she's been my service dog, who trained her, how much she weighs, and a whole bunch of other questions that they really have no business asking. I was very much in the position of feeling like if I didn't answer the question, the agent wouldn't book my ticket. She put me on hold several times during the course of our conversation and every time she came back, she asked another question or two, then put me on hold again. I did call Amtrak the next day and they apologized for her behavior, which was definitely inappropriate as her manager definitely acknowledged. I had to call them for something else, because after all of that she didn't give me the discounted disability rate that she had promised me for my seat. That itself is not a big deal, but the whole booking experience was absolutely aggravating. Now that I think about it, I booked a second Amtrak ticket when I decided to cancel one of my destinations. I don't remember disclosing if I had a guide dog then. Oh well, it's not like they can turn me away...

Daryl