[NAGDU] Questions for low-vision people

Gary rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 14 15:35:53 UTC 2018

hi Tracy:

first, it's nice to see your message. I haven't seen a lot of mail on this list and was wondering if there was something wrong at my end.

I'm typing on the train so my apologies if I miss a couple of typos.

I have RP and quite usable vision into my early 30's. however, I don't get a guide dog until I was in my mid 40's.  when I was younger. my barrier was my life style, foot loose and fancy free. playing on bands, going to parties and chasing women. :). so my life settled down. had a steady job and a life partner who really wanted a dog.  I really didn't want to deal with shedding and dog hair so what really opened it up for me was when  I learned of poodles as an option.

I used to be able to see the cross walk lines but was finding I no longer could guarantee that I could find it. in my little pony hole of vision.  I was also living in an area that was very busy so every day on the way home from work I was crossing busy roads and couldn't be 100% sure I was going straight.  as an example when shooting my video for GDF my girlfriend had to say something because I was angling towards traffic.  probably would have figured it out but was good demonstration of need for dog.

also, like your husband, I have always walked fast.  now  that I'm working with seniors it made me even more aware of the damage I could do if I ran into someone.  I thought the dog would allow me to travel fast when possible and navigate crowds  when necesary.  this is the case.

yes, there are times where I can do things quicker with a cane but they don't balance out to how comfortable it is with a dog.  even Gonzo. who pulls too hard much of the  time and is rather dog distracted still wins over the cane for most circumstances.

so that's my little take. :)

good luck.

gary