[NAGDU] Questions for low-vision people

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Mar 14 18:12:08 UTC 2018

I am actually OK with whatever decision my husband makes, cane or dog.
What I am not OK with is getting another call saying he's on the way to
the ER because ...  I know the world is not a totally safe place, but I
also know there are things that a person can do to make it safer.  I am
also not OK with him deciding to just stay home and go nowhere.  I don't
think he will choose that, but, if he does, I'm giving him a kick in the
butt, as Julie puts it.
I know he has to make his own choices in his own time, but it's easy to
drift along with the status quo, too.  I think I will try to convince him
to get some professional lessons.  Won't hurt; might help.  We both know
that using a cane is not rocket science, and my basic lessons have been OK
so far, but maybe a pro can point out subtleties, or just keep reminding
him to get that cane out in front.

I am finding these answers both useful and interesting, and hope others
will chime in.
Tracy