[NAGDU] questions on when to get a dog and how it affects international travel

Ryan Boudwin ryanboudwin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:18:14 UTC 2018

Hey everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa. I'm pretty early in the
progression; my mid-periphery is gone but I still have reliable central
vision and some far periphery, but it will get worse over time.

I am now using a cane and have stopped driving. At what point would it make
sense for me to consider getting a guide dog? I'm 33 and pretty active. I'm
employed in IT management and I like to go hiking a lot. I walk very fast.
I am assuming I have too much usable vision to get a dog right now but I'm
wondering at what vision loss threshold should I look into it?

My other question is that I travel for work from the USA to Ireland 1-2
times a year for 1-2 weeks each time. I may end up needing to travel to
Singapore occasionally as well as we are opening an office there.
Maintaining my ability to travel for work is important to my job and I
enjoy travelling internationally. How do you take a service animal on a
long haul flight like that? Should I just revert to a cane for trips like
that? If I did that how would my dog handle my absence? I have a wife and
three kids, so the dog wouldn't be alone but I've heard guide dogs struggle
with absences sometimes.

Ryan Boudwin
ryanboudwin at gmail.com