[NAGDU] questions on when to get a dog and how it affects international travel

Michael Forzano michaeldforzano at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:11:44 UTC 2018

I just returned from a trip to the UK and Ireland. Getting the
paperwork was a bit annoying. My dog didn't have the required
ISO-compliant microchip, so she had to be re-chipped and re-vaccinated
for rabies. Because of that there is a 21 day waiting period, which
put me within 5 days of my departure. Normally you can overnight the
paperwork to the USDA to be endorsed, but because it was such a tight
timeline I ended up having to find someone to drive me to the USDA
office an hour or so outside of Seattle, just in case it wouldn't be
returned to me in time. They also require a tapeworm treatment within
5 days of entering the EU. She got hers about 24 hours before my
flight left, and it upset her stomach a bit (her stool was pretty
soft). Thankfully, it was better by the next morning. When I arrived
in the UK, I was met by someone from the animal reception center who
checked the paperwork and her microchip, which took about 5 minutes.
After that, my dog was allowed everywhere and I was not asked any
questions about the paperwork including when entering Ireland and
flying back to the US from Dublin. It was totally worth the hassle for
me as my cane skills are pretty rusty;  it was great to have Delta
with me as I navigated with two other blind cane users in unfamiliar
cities. And with better planning you could hopefully avoid the issues
I had. I would definitely say you would want to have a dog who can
handle the stress and the long flights. As others mentioned, inform
the school that you travel often.

Mike