[NAGDU] Participating in a 5K walk/run?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 29 14:11:56 UTC 2018

I run regularly with my dog (the longest distance being a 14K training run, just to see if we could).
The short answer to the question if dogs can run at a fast speed and long distances is... it depends.Just like with people, a dog will need to build up endurance to guide-run that distance. I chose to run with my dog because she was already trying to pull me along everywhere, so I figured I could channel her speed into my desire to run with her. Best decision I ever made as a handler.That being said, not all dogs are cut out to run fast (and "fast" is a relative term, anyway). Depending on your speed and how quick your dog's regular guiding movements are, it may or may not be a good decision.I'd be happy to discuss further. :, because this post is plenty long...)As to the original question, a few things I've learned about 5K run/walks:1) They are usually dog-friendly, so heads-up for dog distractions if that's a thing for your guide.2) If you're used to walking long distances, a 5K walk - even in a big group - should be fine.3) I've always gone with friends, and that tends to keep the freakouts about blindness to a minimum.
Daryl----- Original Message -----