[NAGDU] Travel and ESA's

Sandra Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed May 2 18:40:24 UTC 2018

Buddy:

I only asked because in my 43 years of using guide dogs I have never heard
of using a cane while working my dog.  None of the trainers I have ever
worked with have ever suggested using both at the same time.  My concern was
more about how the public would perceive this.  We want them to respect our
use of a guide dogs.  If a person needs to use both a cane and guide dog
then the public might feel then why do those blind people need those dogs
anyway?  Whether we like it or not, the public is looking and forming their
opinions on what they see us doing.  I was only asking why someone would
need to use both a guide dog and a long white cane at the same time.  It was
a concept that I had never encountered so I asked why.  No harm was meant by
my innocent question and if someone took it wrong, then I am sorry.

Sandra