[NAGDU] Materials to help your advocacy efforts

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Thu May 10 02:16:54 UTC 2018

Dear All,

                The National Association of Guide Dog Users and its
affiliate division, the Florida Association of Guide Dog Users, has produced
valuable materials to help our advocacy efforts. One piece is what we call
the "It's the Law" flyer and was produced for us by the Hillsborough County
Sheriff's Office in tampa. This flyer contains information about Florida's
blind pedestrian and equal access laws. This flyer includes pictures of a
man working a guide dog and a woman using a white cane. The information
contained in it is specific to Florida's law; however, with a little
editing, it can be modified for nearly any state with criminal remedies. If
you would like an editable version of this flyer, please feel free to get in
touch with me.

                Another valuable tool in our arsenal is our beautiful
brochure. This impressive brochure is an incredible 11" X 17" glossy piece
that is folded in half and then in thirds just like our "What is the
National Federation of the Blind?" brochure. The full-color pictures in the
brochure depict guide dog users working their dogs in some very interesting
settings, including a man fishing with his guide dog next to him and a bear
in the background, someone watching Old Faithful with their guide dog
looking on, and a man feeding a giraffe in a zoo with his German Shepherd
and the giraffe nose-to-nose. This brochure dispels the myths of guide dog
use and offers accurate information about the role of the user as the head
of the team. These brochures are available free-of-charge from the NFB's
Independence market by calling (410) 659-9314.

                Another must-have piece is our 3" X 5" "Service Animals
Welcome" entry door decal with our website and the NAGDU Information &
Advocacy Hotline number on it. This vinyl decal is white with blue letters,
so it is easily seen and does not take up much window space. This piece is
also available from the Independence Market; however, due to its cost and
limited use, prior authorization is required to obtain these decals. Also
they are not eligible for the Free Matter for the Blind program, so there is
a charge for shipping. To obtain prior authorization for the decals, please
send a request via email to info at nagdu.org.

                Prior to convention, NAGDU will be producing some 30-second
and 60-second radio announcements concerning initiatives of the division,
including the rights and responsibilities of access with a service dog and
the challenges faced when encountering counterfeit service animals. Please
watch for these PSAs within the next month!

                If you have any ideas for other tools to help your advocacy
efforts, please send your suggestions to me via email to
president at nagdu.org. We are looking forward to an incredible convention,
seminar, and meeting. I will see you in Orlando!

Fraternally yours,

Marion

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

President at NAGDU.ORG

Visit our website <http://nagdu.org/>

Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/nagdu>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.