[NAGDU] American Airlines and My Blind Spot join forces....

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Tue May 15 23:50:51 UTC 2018

Ricky Joe,

Let me try to help. The problem is that society at large has incredibly low
expectations of what we can do. If you speak to the average person, and not
so average person by the way, they will tell you things like "blind people
can't get around without a dog or a cane unlike us who do not need such
things". They also will say, "blind people depend on all sorts of gadgets to
do anything because they cannot see".

Do you see a problem with that? I do. Sighted people have been depending on
gadgets to do almost everything throughout their entire lives. Heck, they
even rely on gadgets to see at night once the sun goes down. They rely on
gadgets to work, move around and do most everything else. Yes, we too rely
on gadgets and alternative techniques to sight to accomplish tasks. The
problem is that the visually centric world in which we live minimizes the
impact on the use of gadgets by light dependent people while minimizing the
ability of light independent people who don't do things the way most people
do, or as some would say, the way "normal people do".

"depending on my dog" does project a less than equal status in the world. If
Al had said something like "people who use guide dogs" or "using a guide
dog" a totally different image would have been presented. I do NOT "depend
on my dog". I also can use a cane or other techniques. If we want to get
picky, sighted people absolutely depend on light. They plain can't function
without it. If absolutely pressed in a situation where my dog were ill and
thus unavailable to me and, while walking down the street my cane were
stepped on and broken I could still move although more slowly and
inefficiently. I know this because that exact situation happened to me on
the streets of New York more than once when my fourth guide dog suddenly
became critically ill. As I tell people, "during the summer of 1999 I spent
more on replacing canes than I did on dog food and all due to inattentive
pedestrians".

The choice to use a guide dog is a lifestyle choice. It is a choice. You can
get around without a guide dog if you have any kind of cane skills or if you
use other techniques that permit you the freedom to move as and when you
choose. Dependent? No. Preference and choice? Yes.

I hope you see the difference. Thanks for reading.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on
Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost
animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle