[NAGDU] retiring guides

deafblindhope at gmail.com deafblindhope at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:56:31 UTC 2018

I kept Joey, the one you knew, and it was fine. Yes, there was a transition, but he would have been heartbroken if I gave him away. We took him with us “working” in a lot of places for a long time. People here knew and loved him, so they wanted him there. I made sure I loved on him and my new guide. Of course, my husband didn’t have a dog, so we only had the two. My husband is autistic, so he actually needs a dog, so Joey helped him a lot. Since Joey’s death, Nala has actually taken up specific tasks to calm my husband when he has problems. She still guides me fine, and alerts me to know that Scott needs help. We are a team. Anyway, I know and understand that some have no choice but to re-home their guides, but I don’t have that problem now. I know many have said giving their dogs up worked out fine, but all have said their guide suffered from some grief and depression. I want to limit that as long as I can by keeping my former guides in the pack. I just work hard to help them know they are still loved, wanted, and needed.

In The Shadow of Christ, Master Teacher,
Renée K. Walker
www.deafblindhope.wordpress.com
www.wynfield.wordpress.com
Sent from my IPhone with braille display