[NAGDU] retiring guides

Sandra Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Fri May 18 15:37:05 UTC 2018

Nancy:

I have retired several dogs in the past 43 years.  Some went back to the
school because I could not find them a home.  Three of my guides retired to
a very dear friend who took such good care of them that they lived until age
15.  Four years ago I retired my golden Tara who was 8 years old because she
had advanced hip dysplasia and cataracts.  I kept Tara when I got Eva a 14
month old golden.  Tara seemed overwhelmed by the very energetic pup
especially when Eva would try to run and jump in the attempt to get Tara to
play.  I noticed that Tara got very depressed when I paid attention to Eva.
She became anxious when   I had to leave her home alone.  I could not take
Tara for short walks because of her diminished vision.  I taught her to heel
on my right side as Eva did the guiding.  Tara seemed to enjoy those walks
and Eva was very willing to go at Tara's much slower pace.  The problem came
as Tara got more and more depressed.  She stopped playing and at times would
not eat As we all know this is not usually a problem for a golden retriever.
Tara had always been very eager to eat.  Finally in consultation with my vet
I made the very difficult decision to find Tara a new home where she was the
only dog.  Fortunately a wonderful elderly lady from my parents church had
just lost her dog and was longing to find another older dog to adopt.  Lucy
had met Tara several times when I attended church with my parents.  She
immediately said she would gladly adopt Tara.  The two of them fell in love
the minute they met.  My other concern during this time was my ability to
afford Tara's very expensive daily anti-inflammatory meds and joint
supplements as well as her monthly injections and laser treatments for her
hips.  I was no longer able to work so had to consider if I could
financially pay for the care Tara needed.  I had already maxed out my credit
card paying for her vet bills.  Fortunately Lucy was financially able to
take on this responsibility.  Tara will celebrate her 12th birthday in a few
weeks.  She is doing well and she can still see good enough to get along in
the house.  It broke my heart to send all my retired guides to their new
homes but it was what had to be done.  I have always rented and most
landlords will not permit more than one dog.

So, after telling you my story I give you a few things to think about.  Can
you afford to take care of more than the two guide dogs considering food and
vet bills?  Do you have the ability to have someone available to take them
out if you have to leave them for a long time?  Do you think the retired
dogs will tolerate the younger more energetic playful dogs?  If you live in
rental housing will they allow you to have four dogs?  Whatever choice you
make retirement is always difficult.  Good luck as you and your husband
train with your new dogs.

Sandra Johnson
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net