[NAGDU] [Blindtlk] DOT Releases Interim Enforcement Priorities concerning Service Animals and ESAs

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Fri May 18 20:04:58 UTC 2018

Marion,

My reactions to the interim plan are:

1.  Yes, restrictions are needed regarding behavior of untrained (working) PSA and ESA.   This is good.
2.  The same, obviously, for fake PSA and ESA.

-In both cases, I agree that a vet cannot be the informed certifier, because they only know the animal in a very limited context.  And we all know that vet offices can have any number of effects (including extreme) on animal behavior, such it may be far from any context of actual familiarity.

Proof of training absolutely should be required.  But there’s the tangle.  Many of us know about problems with one agency that appears to have co-opted what defines an “acceptable training program” identity in other countries, even to the point that it may prohibit travel unless you have a dog through that agency of one of it’s affiliates.  It has prohibited us before.  That, for all of it’s good intention, is a definition of discrimination.  So what in the end of this process, defines “trained”?   Clear and simple, it one thing:  real time behavior.

My other concern about proof of training, is, what prevents just one more layer of marketing, the sale and purchase of a bogus internet “I am trained” certificate?

3. This brings me to the essential requirement:  Agencies and staff, from TSA to airline counter and boarding employees and air crews, need to have training, to immediately discern in real time, case by case, that an animal’s behavior is that of a working, trained animal.  There is no way around this.  Imagine how things might change if, when a boarding agent observes an untrained animal in the act six bodies back in line barking or snarling at someone in line, they can judge the situation and handle it?  This means however, the three things that organizations don’t want:  education, inconvenience in the present moment, and the expense to make it possible.  But it is the only real thing that will actually work in the way that policies and certifications cannot.

4.  The proposal needs teeth, in the form of boundaries and consequences.   The boundaries, as mentioned, reside in being observed acting trained or untrained.  Consequences must include the owner personally certifying responsibility for their trained animal’s behavior.  Having to submit to giving one's signature below a warning of consequences or penalties does remarkable things for effect.   Unless sociopathic, one who must certify personal responsibility for behavior or damage will consider twice whether to fudge a rule, or outright lie about their dog.  Imagine this in a rubber hits the road way:  What wold you do if security came and said “Either your working dog behaves like one, or it goes in freight, or you are free to board this aircraft today but without the animal”?

An additional point on imposing consequences:  We are a body of people who use working dogs, and have been inputting on this process over time.  Some of us have been at the effect of untrained or fake dog abuses.  Therefore the federal law outlining consequences for interrupting a service dog’s work, or harming a service dog should be part of the text of certifying personal responsibility for PSA or ESA.  If that’s a discrimination issue, I personally would have no issue in signing responsibility for my own working guide.  After all, we already have to adhere to this same standard anyway; so what would be an issue as individuals or a discrimination to us to state what already is our obvious behavior and responsibility as teams?

Thanks for the good work!  Marion I wasn’t clear.  There will be a group input process through you as I understand it.  But would it would be more effective still if we also wrote as individuals as well?  Please clarify.

My best,
Peter