[NAGDU] United's pet restrictions and uber

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Mon May 21 06:36:36 UTC 2018

MIchael,

Thank you for the clarity of action.  Our reactions are important, and also that we hold them with forebearance while getting facts.

On the uber issue:  Being a straight ADA issue, I do not give advance notice when booking rides that I have a service dog.  Her gear is visually obvious on contact although I still do advise drivers as a courtesy.  That dynamic tends to expose discrimination, because they then have to either refuse verbally or drive off.   We also use the same dynamic, by the way, in hotels.  Many more are becoming pet friendly, which might seem like a good thing.  However, a lot of pets aren’t trained, and as we have experienced, many appear to soil room and hallway carpets.  We’ve experienced that this is not a great environment for a more dialed-in dog who knows to not drop the goods inside.  We actually prefer to not be shunted into a “pet” room.  This is easier when in advance, they don’t automatically do this while making a reservation.

Best,
Peter