[NAGDU] Guide dog schools employing blind people

Monse monse_v at aol.com.mx
Fri Oct 5 06:40:53 UTC 2018

Hi all. Here in my country there is the oldest guide dog school that was
founded by a blind person, but its founder is not involved in the training
of guide dogs at all.
I'm an owner trainer and I'm currently working as a guide dog trainer for an
assistance dogs school.
I think it's completely possible to work with clients during the matching
process, but not in the same way as sighted instructors. I haven't had the
chance to try it though. Blind people here have the idea that a blind person
just couldn't do it, which limits my possibilities.
As for the length of training, It might take more time, kind of 2 months
more, but the advantage that I find is that the dog is getting used to work
with a real blind person and is having the opportunity to solve problems as
if he/she were already working in real life during the training process. we
train one dog at a time, so yes we can work several dogs in a day.

---