[NAGDU] Off leash dogs! What can I do?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 15:34:45 UTC 2018

I've heard the advice of using a loud noise of varying types to hopefully interupt a loose dog. I actually know someone who used an air horn to startle loose dogs and apparently it was pretty helpful. A sudden loud noise is likely something that a properly socialized dog with good genetic soundness, which service dogs generally should be, would likely ignore or only briefly startle at while a less temperamentally sound dog would probably find it scary and may not want to approach. This is why these strategies work for some dogs and not others. It also depends though how determined the dog is to get to your dog.
I occasionally encounter off leash dogs from time to time and it is annoying but generally manageable. I remember one summer I literally encountered fifteen or twenty loose dogs within a few months for some reason I don't understand; this hasn't happened anywhere near as offten before or since. There are also lots of dogs around here that are on tie outs or behind invisible fences. This is perfectly legal but it took so much effort to convince my dog not every dog that looked loose was going to come running at him with no warning.

Danielle and Thai

Sent from my iPhone