[NAGDU] NYAGDU conference calls to begin Sept 30, win a free sports harness, NYAGDU at NFBNY convvention,

heather.l.bird at gmail.com heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:57:46 UTC 2018

A division is only as active and strong as it can be between conventions.
I've been promising them for a while, and here they are. Beginning in
September, we will be having a monthly conference call for all NYAGDU
members and any interested handlers of  guide dogs living, working or
attending school in New York State. Please invite your guide dog handling
friends, whether they are NFB or ACB members or belong to neither. Below,
please find the topic schedule through the end of the year, and. right after
that, please see details on how  you can win a free sports harness, a $150
value, from On the Go Guide Dog Supplies. The call-in number is
605-475-4786. The pass code is 869480. Our first call will be this Sunday,
September 30th at 7:30 P.M.

September: first call meet and greet, brainstorming to better meet needs and
spark interests at the New York State convention, preparing for colder
weather with your guide, and a cool dog friendly pumpkin pie treat recipe,

October: Guide dogs and blind parenting? How can a guide dog make traveling
as a blind parent easier? What options exist for traveling with a guide and
children, from infants to toddlers to older children? When and how can you
acquire a guide dog if you are a parent of small children or a single
parent? Any and all members of the NYAGDU and the Blind Parents of Mew York
Group are invited to this call. Feedback collection on convention MNYAGDU
event, and a fun dog friendly Halloween recipe,

November: Guide Dogs in School, timing acquiring a guide dog in relation to
high school and college, how can a guide dog help empower a student to
excel, problem solve handling a guide dog in a school setting, also great
for guide dog handlers who are teachers or work in schools, we are
encouraging any and all members of NYABS and NYAGDU to attend this call, fun
turkey treats recipe,

December: Parents of Blind Children and the guide dog question, When is a
teen old enough for a guide dog, what must the parents/family know first,
whose decision is it? Picking a guide dog school is like selecting a
college, we are encouraging any and all members of NYPBC and NYAGDU to
attend this call, you guessed it, a fun dog Holiday present will be featured
as well.

We will develop a list of guide dog topics for 2019, which we will
distribute soon.

Have you ever checked out one of those neat guide dog harnesses made by
companies not affiliated with any particular guide dog school and thought
"Oh, that's cool, but, its so expensive, I just don't know, what if I don't
like it?" Well, here is an opportunity to enter to win a free sports harness
from On the Go, one of the most responsive and consumer friendly businesses
producing guide dog harnesses. This is a $150 value. This is not a
one-size-fits-all product. You  select the handle length, the color, the
body is sized to fit your dog, and other customizable touches ensure that
you get a great working harness for your dog. Here's  how to enter, and its
easy and fun. For every NYAGDU event you attend,, you will get an entry, so
the more things you attend, the more entries you will get and the greater
chances are that you will win. For every conference call you attend, and for
coming to the NYAGDU meeting at the NFBNY convention, you will have your
name put into the drawing. So, for instance, if you attend the class in
September, October, November and December and come and see us at convention,
you will have 5 chances to win. We will draw the name after our last
conference call in December, and you will receive a $150 credit to be used
at On the Go. Julie Johnson who creates this beautiful and comfortable
harnesses will work with you to find the right size for your dog, a gorgeous
color option, and you will have an excellent product that you can use to
enhance the comfort of your dog, enrich the working partnership, and try out
something really unique and innovative.

Come and see us at the New York State Convention of the NFB in 2018. On
Fr4iday, October 19th we will have a workshop where you can: catch up with
fellow guide dog handlers, play a fun guide dog themed game, enter to win a
guide dog specific door prize, and more. Please check your convention agenda
to find out where we will be, then come on in. We are working closely with
the NYPBC, NYABS, and Blind Parents of NY to ensure that those of us who
have interest in multiple groups and divisions have the opportunity to
attend NYAGDU and other workshops.

So that we can plan, please email Heather at heather.l.bird at gmail.com
<mailto:heather.l.bird at gmail.com>  if you think that you will be at
convention and also attending our NYAGDU workshop.