[NAGDU] unfamiliar places

dchandler001 at carolina.rr.com dchandler001 at carolina.rr.com
Thu Apr 4 13:30:24 UTC 2019

The one issue I've had with my dog in unfamiliar places is that she gets more excited in a new place.  I sometimes have to do extra obedience exercises in this type of situation.  She gets so psyched that I have to calm her down.  She's enjoying herself so much, e.g. some much stimulation, etc.
Deb and Tally
---- Vivianna via NAGDU <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Oh, yes, i go exploring new places all the time. Especially now that we have all of this awesome GPS stuff available. I just put BlindSquare in my ear and, off i go.
I recently moved to a completely different city and, i have been exploring a lot with my 11 month old pup in training. I think it helps our teamwork a ton. For example, yesterday, i wanted to go, right, but, there was not a sidewalk there. I give the command, right, my pup looks over there but refuses to go. I give the, Right, again. She still won’t go. I turn around and try a few, lefts, for a couple feet. nope, still no go. OK, i figure there’s no sidewalk and, we continue another block where we turned right.
I would say, the most difficult thing about exploring can be running into crazy street crossings. You know, the kind where several streets come together? Or, the ones that are T intersections. And, also, trying to figure out which streets have lights, 4 way stops, or, just nothing. That’s where those good O and M skills come in.
But, it’s great when i can just ask my phone or my watch, where am i? And, it tells me.
Vivianna

Sent from my iPhone