[NAGDU] FW: [GuideDogs] ticks

Madison Martin maddymartin at mymts.net
Fri Aug 9 18:55:04 UTC 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: GuideDogs at yahoogroups.com [mailto:GuideDogs at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: August-09-19 9:11 AM
To: GuideDogs at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [GuideDogs] ticks

What Dog Owners Can Do About Ticks

https://www.outsideonline.com/2400672/dog-ticks-lyme-disease

A few simple steps to follow to keep your pets from getting infected with
Lyme disease

Wes Siler

-----

Aug 8, 2019

I had a reader named Matt write from Connecticut with a question about tick
safety for dogs.

I'm the proud owner of a seven-month-old yellow Lab. We give her NexGard for
fleas and ticks, but after a recent hike, I found a few ticks on her coat.

Do you use any kind of spray repellant that you can recommend?

First, ticks are definitely something you should worry about. Connecticut is
the epicenter of

the Lyme disease epidemic.

Not only can dogs contract the disease but they could bring ticks inside
your home, potentially spreading it to humans, too. However, by being
proactive,

it's actually pretty straightforward to keep both your pet and family safe.

NexGard

 and other oral flea and tick medications are pretty effective at keeping
the pests from remaining attached to your dog. That said, fleas and ticks
are

capable of adapting to the widespread use of these treatments and can
develop the ability to resist them over time. Consult your vet and other dog
owners

in your local area for information on which oral treatments are working best
right now. Stay up to date on this information season by season.

Probably the only good thing about Lyme is that the disease is

thought to take up to 36 hours

to transmit between the tick and its host. Oral treatments might not get
them off that fast, but you can. The best defense against ticks on both
humans

and dogs will always remain regular searches and immediate disposal.

Doing that every time you get home from hikes, or several times during long
outdoor activities, is a good habit to get into in a tick hot zone like
Connecticut.

To make it easy, I'd set up a tick station in your garage. You'll need
equipment to search for, remove, and safely get rid of the bugs. I suggest

a fine-tooth flea comb

(different types of dog fur may require different tools),

a tick stick

or tweezers, and a jar of rubbing alcohol with a secure lid.

After every hike, comb the dog to find ticks, safely remove them, then
dispose of them in the alcohol. The tool makes sure you get the tick's
mandibles

out of the dog's skin, and the jar of alcohol gives you a safe place to
dispose of the bugs when you find them. Never crush ticks between your
fingers;

the blood that squirts out could infect you with the diseases they carry.

There are also steps you can take to minimize the number of ticks in your
dog's environment. There will likely be yard-treatment services available in

your area, you can scatter

diatomaceous earth

across your yard, use

tick tubes,

and create a barrier of mulch or gravel surrounding your property, which may
prevent ticks from invading it.

So my answer to your question? The most effective thing you're going to be
able to spray on your dog is

a permethrin-based solution.

That can remain on your dog's fur for up to six weeks and is proven to be
effective. Unlike DEET, which may be harmful to dogs,

permethrin is safe for both dogs and humans

 (but not cats). If I lived somewhere with Lyme disease, that's what I'd
use.

__._,_.___
_ylc=X3oDMTJwbXIybDVuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExODM5NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDc1MDU
yNDcEbXNnSWQDNjg1MDQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxNTY1MzU5ODU5?act=reply&
messageNum=68504>  	.	 Reply to sender
<mailto:b.butterfly at comcast.net?subject=Re%3A%20ticks%20> 	.
Reply to group <mailto:GuideDogs at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20ticks%20>
.	 Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GuideDogs/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X
3oDMTJkOTRra2dlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExODM5NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDc1MDUyNDcEc
2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxNTY1MzU5ODU5>  	.	 Messages in this
topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GuideDogs/conversations/topics/1329;_yl
c=X3oDMTM0NmpnODE1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExODM5NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDc1MDUyND
cEbXNnSWQDNjg1MDQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxNTY1MzU5ODU5BHRwY0lkAzEzMj
k->  (2)
Have you hugged your dog today?
Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GuideDogs/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbnY5N2JhBF9
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExODM5NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDc1MDUyNDcEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmd
ocARzdGltZQMxNTY1MzU5ODU5>

zExODM5NARncnBzcElkAzE3MDc1MDUyNDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzE1NjUzNTk4N
Tk->
. Privacy <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html>  .
Unsubscribe
<mailto:GuideDogs-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>  . Terms