[NAGDU] FHA

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:02:51 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Can someone refresh my memory on what a landlord can and cannot ask
for under the FHA? I'm finding slightly conflicting information
online, and I want to make sure I have the facts completely right.

My university is asking me for my dog's vaccination records, licensing
information, and pictures (of the dog, me and the dog, or what exactly
I don't know). I've already provided documentation of my disability,
and requested reasonable accomodations. I've met with the Disability
Resource Center people in person as well, so they have the added
benefit of observing my dog both behaving perfectly and performing
tasks.

It is my understanding that the landlord (in this case the university)
is only able to ask for documentation of the person's disability. OF
course, if the dog is disruptive, it can be excluded, and I can be
charged for any damage she causes. I understand the dog must be
licensed in the town/county as any pet does and I can be fined just
like any pet owner for not doing so. However, it is my understanding
this license cannot be used as a condition of access.

I've already told the university I will not provide any additional
information that is not covered under FHA. I have an appointment with
the Disability Resource Center later today for something unrelated,
but I'm sure the disability coordinator will bring this up.

Thank you in advance.
Danielle