[NAGDU] First Post plus Offset Handles?

Piper Morton piperleighmorton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 21:59:02 UTC 2019

This is my first post to the list thank you for letting me join!

My name is Piper and I have a four year old Golden guide dog named Carey as
in Carey Grant. I did not attend a school, but Carey was trained by a local
trainer who trained guide dogs years ago and was willing to try with me
because I have a background in AKC competition obedience and some study of
dog behavior as well.

Carey has been working as my guide now since the end of 2016 when he was 23
months old and if anything, he seems younger now than when I first met him.

I have RP and cataracts. My central vision is still OK, but I have about
15° of visual field left.

Our trainer came out to help with an odd street crossing last weekend. It
turned out to be a lot easier than I was making it out to be. But, while
here, she suggested I try an offset handle on Carey's harness. When  I
asked why, she said just try it and let her know how it works.

So, what is the purpose of an offset handle? I don't crowd my dog, ever,
which seems like the only reason I can think of to use one. She dropped it
off today and I'm going to try it in a little bit, but wondering what
others' experiences are like?

Thanks!!

Piper and Carey