[NAGDU] Formal O&M and Guide Dog Schools

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Sat Aug 24 17:57:19 UTC 2019

Hi, Piper.

Most schools do require that you have proficiency with basic O&M
skills.?? While the larger schools will send a trainer to your area to do
an evaluation, many still require some official proof of basic skill
level and/or a video tape.?? Some of the smaller skills may not have the
staff or funds to send out trainers for evaluations even though they
will accept long distance applicants.?? In most instances, the video,
written information, and phone interview will give them the information
they need to make a decision regarding acceptance.

I had this situation occur four years ago when I was applying at GDA for
my third dog.?? Even though I had been a dog handler for nearly twenty
years, it was my first time dealing with that school.?? They had no idea
about me or my skills, so there was no getting around the requirement.

I hadn't had any official O&M from a certified instructor in over ten
years and at that time, our state Division of Blind Services was so
underfunded and understaffed that opening a case and getting the
evaluation would have taken several months.?? I didn't want to go through
that process just for an O&M evaluation when I knew my skills were sound.

I asked on this list and got information about a blindness center that
has O&M instructors on staff.?? I was able to arrange for one of them to
do the tape and evaluation on a free lance basis.

I live in a rural community in Illinois, and there isn't a Lighthouse or
any kind of blindness center nearby, so this was my only option in order
to complete the application process quickly and on my terms.

The instructor only charged me $100 for the two hours she spent with
me.?? The majority of the time was spent doing the video taping.?? It was
easy for her to fill out the form and verify my skill level, the actual
taping of the video was what took the longest due to location and editing.

Lisa

Lisa Belville

missktlab1217 at frontier.com