[NAGDU] Horrible Left Tendency

David david at bakerinet.com
Wed Aug 28 16:02:40 UTC 2019

I know this has been talked to death, but I have a couple of new
observations.

I understood that left-guiding is based upon the need to face traffic
when walking on roads where drivers drive on the right side of the road,
so that you are always facing traffic when walking on the road without a
side walk. GDF trains guides to walk on the left, but they also train
the commands, OVER RIGHT and OVER LEFT. I find it easier to just let
Claire Rose guide me from the left of the path, except in NYC.

In NYC, I get body slammed when walking on the left at least twice,
often more, each block I walk. What I have found is that fast-paced New
Yorkers are very self-absorbed. When they sense, but don't look at,
someone coming toward them, they will move slightly to their left. They
apparently think that the person coming toward them will also move a
little to their left as well. When you don't, a collision occurs.

When traveling in different countries, I have found that each culture
has its own rules regarding personal space. Who gives way to whom
depends upon where you are. Speed, angle of approach, and placement on
the walkway are all important aspects of this. Sometimes the rules
change on subways and stairways, in airports, performance venues, and
stores. Italy's rules are vastly different from Germany's. France's
rules are different from Spain's. I think a study would make a great
Master's thesis, if it hasn't been done already.

*David in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com*