[NAGDU] Three advantages to use a cane at walking with a guide dog.

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Sat Aug 31 12:14:30 UTC 2019

Hi Tarzan,

Regarding advantage no.2: A guide dog that's working properly is able to
show its owner all the things you mentioned. And after having worked a
dog for a while, you're able to understand what they're indicating. So
in my opinion, you don't need a cane for these tasks during guidework.
Sure, you can use it in addition, but i wouldn't see it as an advantage.

And regarding No.3:

Here in Germany, the guide dog's harness is meant to tell the public
you're blind just like the cane. Most people understand it, even though
I've had strange conversations over the time on this matter. A lady on
the bus asked if the dog was hurt, she thought the harness was some kind
of medical aid for the dog to be able to walk. But anyway, I don't
really care whether everyone understands it or not. At some point, I've
stopped worrying about the general public and their conceptions, I'd
have gone crazy otherwise.

Lisa