[NAGDU] researching about getting a guide dog

cindyray at gmail.com cindyray at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 04:01:02 UTC 2019

Well, I got a dog because it was beginning to hurt my right hand to use a
cane. At first I wasn't comfortable with the dog, for people decided the dog
made me more independent. These people had no idea what I had been doing. I
got rather sick of people wanting to pet, wanting to talk to the dog, alking
about the dog being my eyes, and acting as if the dog's ability to see made
it my superior. Gradually, I came to enjoy using my dogs until the last one.
I had some problems with it wanting to hassle other dogs. Then I got refused
a ride in an Uber. The driver was too cowardly to face me; he just saw the
dog and drove off. I decided that I would just as soon kiss the whole hassle
goodbye and going back to using a cane.
I went back to using a cane. Then people started rushing to tell me I was
going to run into something when my cane would touch it and on and on. I
came to realize through all this that using the dog and using the cane each
had its own set of issues. Then I cane to realize I was missing using a dog.
The main two reasons are that I just love dogs and I walk straighter with a
dog. I had thought I wouldn't get another dog because I'm getting old and
was having trouble walking; now I am still getting old and having less
trouble walking, so I am considering getting another. I haven't applied just
yet because my last dog, when I retired it, I decided to keep. I had given
the others away. I have now decided that I will most likely apply for
another dog, but I will wait until this dog has died. He is 13.5 years old
and still going strong, though there are subtle changes in him that are
likely increasing.
If I were going to apply to a school, I would learn much about what the dog
training school has to offer you with regard to dogs first. Then I would
talk to the ones I favored most concerning whether they have a mobility
program. Also, while I was researching, I might find another way to get some
O&M Skills.
I hope this makes sense.
Cindy Lou Ray
cindyray at gmail.com