[NAGDU] researching about getting a guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Dec 29 14:57:58 UTC 2019

Hi Andrew.
I remember not being sure about getting a guide dog, but decided to give it
a try.  That was almost 40 years ago now.
At the time, I lived in Minnesota.  I found using a cane in lots of snow to
be a real pain.  The dog was a lot easier, because the dog could see where
we wanted to go, and also see the clearest path, if there was one.
But having a dog has its own hassles, as Cindy explained very well.

In my experience, the more exercise a dog gets, the better it is, both as a
guide and as a house companion.  They're bred to work, and, if they don't
get enough work, they get bored and can get into mischief.  But, if you have
3 good routs, and have regular reasons to get out and walk around, you
should be fine.  And you can build from there.

It's a commitment, but not necessarily a life-long commitment.  Some people
decide, after a few months, that it's not for them, and return the dog.
Some people work one dog, then decide for whatever reason not to get
another.  And some work dogs for years, then take a break, then go back to
it.
So, though it's a serious decision, it's one you can change your mind about.
Tracy