[NAGDU] more GDF questions

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:55:47 UTC 2019

New York has cold and snowy winters, but of course not to the extreme Canada does since it is obviously further south. Puppy raisers live along most of the east coast, so the climate dogs live in can vary. Depending on when your class date is, the dogs may or may not be in New York during the winter.
Both of my dogs were raised in NY and are very cold tolerant. Both are excellent workers in the snow, though little to none of their formal guide training took place during the winter. If you have a class between January and early June, it is almost a guarantee the dog has actually been on training walks in the snow. Dogs should figure out working in the snow with their general knowledge of avoiding obstacles however. Their was one student in each of my classes from Canada. GDF will keep in mind your home area when matching you with a dog, though the retriever breeds tend to be quite tolerant to both hot and cold climates. You can certainly bring up any concerns you might have during the application process.

I’m not sure what the official answer to the number of students in each class would be. From my observations it seems like six to eight students is typical.
Danielle, Thai, and Jackie

Sent from my iPhone