[NAGDU] Uber and Lyft

Marilyn Tucci t21114 at optonline.net
Sat Feb 16 21:12:37 UTC 2019

Hi  everyone,
I have been one of the people on the policy making committee for Uber and     Lyft in New York State for people with disabilities. If a driver refuses to take you because you have a Guide dog they are fired.  The public came to the meetings in Buffalo , Syracuse, Albany, West Chester and Long Island.
 Yesterday was our final meeting and our  recommendations will go to the Governor and Legislators. Uber and Lyft were represented at the meetings and they we’re very good answering questions and contacting their lawyers when asked if they could do certain things. I had one problem a year ago this month. I was in another county with my guide dog at a lions anniversary celebration. I was one of a few guest speakers. I was taking a Uber home . When the driver pulled up he saw my guide dog and had second thoughts . I said to him I have a mat for my dog to lay on . I also carry a lint brush to clean any dog fur. I told him i understand this is your personal car and I respect your property. He then said ok. He had an accent. I started a conversation with him as it was a 55 minute ride. By the time I got home at 12:45 pm he offered to walk me to my door but I declined his help. He said he would wait to make sure I got in my house safely. I do the same thing when I go in a friends car or my children’s car. Bring a mat and lint brush.
Marilyn and the girls

Sent from my iPad