[NAGDU] stairs and guide dogs question

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:09:49 UTC 2019

I will either work the dog up/down the stairs and lightly run my hand along the railing, or not hold the railing at all. My dogs were trained to target railings so I have the option.  It is also possible to heel the dog and hold the railing normally. I personally don’t like this method because the dog can’t alert me to obstacles like people standing or sitting on the stairs. You don’t really want to tightly hold the railing and work the dog simultaneously, because you can’t really move around an obstacle with the dog while still holding the railing.

Danielle, Thai, and Jackie

Sent from my iPhone