[NAGDU] Uber and Lift

Monse monse_v at aol.com.mx
Thu Feb 21 03:38:35 UTC 2019

Hello all.

In your opinion, what is or would be the best strategy to fight against
discrimination in transportation services such as uber, lift, probably buss
drivers that refuse to pick you up with your dog or those who just don't
stop, among others?

Here in my country Mexico there are a few guide dog users, normally the same
persons, who usually livestream to facebook to provide evidence of the
discrimination guide dog users face each time taxi drivers refuse to take
them so that their video goes viral and drivers get criticized by social
network users and eventually fired. They usually do the same thing when have
access denials even though they're allowed access in the end.

I think users should do their part as well and in case of using taxis, would
be helpful to carry mat and brush so that drivers don't have the doggy fur
excuse and feel comfortable.

Honestly my dog and I don't use taxis often partly because we live in the
city and have many public transportation options, and partly because I like
to walk and make my dog practice and reinforce his training, but we did use
them when I was training him and we had just one  service denial for the fur
reason. After that I decided to carry mat and brush and each time that
drivers had that excuse, I would give them the tools and they changed their
actitud immediately, put the mat in their car and voila.

What have worked for you?

---