[NAGDU] advantages/disadvantages was stairs and guide dogs question

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 16:09:47 UTC 2019

Yes, to what Dan says.  Plus here are my additional thoughts.

In ideal conditions, no echo, no sirens, no high wind, no snow my travel
with cane or dog is close to the same.  Probably a bit faster with the dog,
but not extraordinarily so.  Exactly how often I travel under these perfect
conditions though...I have no idea.  It feels like a glorious rare event to
be enjoyed and cherished, especially since we got 4 more inches of snow
yesterday and freezing rain is on the way tomorrow.

Averaging out all circumstances and giving an overview, I travel faster
outdoors with a dog, but indoors it feels about the same, unless it's a
place I go a lot and the dog knows the routine.  Like when I go to the post
office, the dog knows which door we will enter and that we will exit by a
different door.  she knows to find the end of the line and wait for it to
move up.  Of course I had to teach her those things, which made the first
few trips a bit slower than it would have been with a cane, but the long
term benefit is saved time.

I think that's really the heart of it.  In the beginning a dog does take
more time.  Time to learn how to work with each other.  Time to teach the
dog your routines and expectations.  time to get in sync.  That takes a few
months to a year, but once you get through that part, the dog provides a
whole lot a cane cannot.  finding things is a big one.  I also appreciate
offering a different path when my first choice isn't doable. I find a dog
more comfortable to use physically.  I don't grip the harness handle the
same way you would a cane and it's easier for me to walk long distances
without pain in my wrist and hand.  My dog also provides some help with
balance on rough terrain, ice or even up and down steps if I'm having a bad
day.

Of course dogs need food, vet care, grooming, playtime and overall cost more
in time and money than a cane.   Mostly that's not a problem, but sometimes,
like when it's 33 degrees with a 40 mph wind and freezing rain I'd rather be
getting a root canal than be out with the dog.  Well, maybe not, but it's
close! *smile*  It balances out though, when the dog swerves around a car
that ran a red light, or refuses to move forward onto ice, or  turns their
head to indicate there's a person you didn't know was there, you feel safer.
or at least I do.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>