[NAGDU] Please Join Us for The First In Our Series of School Interview Calls This Sunday

heather.l.bird at gmail.com heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 20:22:25 UTC 2019

We will be beginning our guide dog training program series in January with
Lucas Frank as our guest speaker on our monthly conference call. It is our
intent to feature any and all guide dog training programs in or serving
those living in New York state over the course of 2019 and into 2020. There
are over a dozen guide dog training programs across the US, all or most of
which serve New York State. There may be additional programs outside of the
United States which will serve citizens of the US, and therefore residents
of NYS If I find them I will attempt to obtain guest speakers for the calls.
. This month Lucas Frank, from the Seeing Eye will present on some of the
things that make TSE unique among guide dog schools, including their clicker
program which optimizes this training method by pairing the clicker and
treats with an audible target to empower the blind handler to expand and
enrich the command and behavior repertoire, the ownership policy and other
aspects of this program. The call will begin at 8:00 P.M. on Sunday, January
20th 2019. The call-in number is (605) 475-4786 and the pass code is
869-480. This call is held by the New York Association of Guide Dog Users, a
proud division of the NFB of New York State, but these calls are open to
nonmembers. We welcome members of NFB, ACB, or those who choose to belong to
neither. We welcome graduates of any guide dog training program as well as
owner trainers. This series is intended to help expand knowledge of the many
options that exist for those wishing to partner with guide dogs. The NYAGDU
does not endorse or accredit any particular training programs. There are
organizations which do accredit such programs, such as the ADI, Assistance
Dogs International and the IGDF, International Guide Dog Federation. Please
see below for a preview of upcoming calls in this series.

January: The Seeing Eye, Lucas Frank, clicker training meets audible
targets, ownership policy and why it matters, etc.

February, Guiding Eyes for the Blind, Lisa Derleth, Running Guides Program,
GEB's GSD breeding program, etc.

March, The Guide Dog Foundation, America's Vet Dogs, serving the needs of
blind veterans, compare and contrast GDF and AVD and how do they dovetail,
etc.

April, Owner Trainer Call, Julie Johnson, and other owner trainers will hold
a panel discussion about the pros and cons of owner training a guide dog,

May, TBA, possibly Freedom Guide Dogs,

June: Guide Dogs, Guide Dogs, Everywhere, discussion about taking your guide
dog to large gatherings with other guide or service dogs such as the NFB and
ACB national conventions, the Beep Baseball World Series, etc.

July, TBA, possibly Guide Dogs for the Blind,

September, TBA, possibly South Eastern Guide Dogs,

October, TBA, possibly leader dogs for the blind,

November, TBA, possibly Pilot Dogs,

December, TBA, possibly Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation,

Please share this with your guide dog handling friends, whatever school they
have graduated from, and especially with those who are in the process of
researching a school to attend, for the first time, or for their next
successor. Knowledge is power, and we as consumers of guide dog training
programs, and handlers of these amazing dogs have the right to make our own
decisions about where to obtain our dogs and the responsibility to make
informed decisions that best meet our needs and fit our situations.

Disclaimer. Every guide dog training program is different, as is, every dog,
handler, trainer, puppy-raiser and situation. Schools change over time:
amazing schools can go downhill, below average schools can improve
drastically and become good or even awesome schools. A wonderful school can
put out an awful dog. A substandard school can put out an outstanding dog.
Two people can have drastically different experiences at the same school or
with the same trainer. A good handler can receive a good dog, that is not a
good match. For a team to be amazing, many elements must all be good, the
dog, the training, the program, the puppy-raisers, and, if one or more
elements in the equation are less than ideal, other elements being above
average can more than compensate and still result in a fantastic team.

What I tell people at my in-person presentations: "research is crucial. If
it has been more than five years since you last researched guide dog
schools, it is usually advisable to conduct at least some research before
deciding on what school to apply to. What works for me, may not work well
for you. Please do not select a school, just because I or anyone else has a
dog from that school, or because it is the closest school to you
geographically. Please find the school that best meets your needs, for your
own unique situation."