[NAGDU] NAGDU Digest, Vol 166, Issue 17

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Jan 26 22:07:27 UTC 2019

Peter,
1.  What exactly would be the limitation in the bill proposal to us, and
other real service dog users?
Nothing that I can discern.  If your disability is readily apparent no
paperwork will be needed.  If your disability is not  noticeable, then some
sort of documentation can be asked for.  This documentation has to come from
a health care provider licensed in the state who actually carries on with
providing health care to people, not simply handing out papers for a fee.
This seems to me to be fair and will eliminate purchasing credentials for
your dog on the internet.

2.  Whom exactly should we write to there in the legislature - if we are not
from that state - so that we can help to provide input?
This is completely my opinion, but I think input should come from Nebraska
residents. If you are planning a move and will be a resident, feel free to
contact your Senator's office.  BTW we have a unicameral legislature here
and everyone is referred to as a Senator.

3.  Two or three talking points that we can all tap into would facilitate
mass input from many of us around the country.
No idea here.  Really I think the bill as proposed is okay.  This is a
housing issue, so if paperwork is needed, it would be a single time, not a
reoccurring event, so not a burden to the disabled person.  also it would be
only to the landlord/rental agency so no disability information would be put
on display for public consumption or comment.

There are issues that we, as a society, need to address.  The confusion with
terminology is a big one.  However we need to get our ducks in a row on that
one before approaching lawmakers because it will only end in a bigger mess
if we don't have a very clear plan and many, many disability organizations
working together.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>