[NAGDU] backtracking Some Questions About Guiding Eyes

caota4 at gmail.com caota4 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 23:37:07 UTC 2019

Irish was pretty good about reversing routes, one time in particular that
boy really saved my bacon!  We had to go to a dinner in a building downtown
Honolulu in the evening. That building is a real maize and it was pretty
much deserted. I got assistance going into where the restaurant was from the
paratransit driver but when the dinner was done, none of the other people at
dinner had any idea how to get down to the main floor and out to the street,
they had all come in their cars and parked in the parking area next to the
restaurant. Nobody seemed to know how to get out and my paratransit ride was
waiting for me. I told the driver to please wait because it might take me a
while to get out as I might get lost.  Well, I told Irish forward and he
wanted to go the opposite way I would have gone and we started out on our
way and I kept telling him to go find the lift (being the Ausie boy that he
was, he knew lift rather than elevator). He would come to a turn and kind of
look up at me and I'd tell him to go and he'd take the turns and sure
enough, allof a sudden I felt his tail wagging and there was the elevator
and after we got down to the main floor he made a dash for the exit, too,
and we got out and found our ride home!  I was never so glad to get in that
taxi to go home!  It was so deserted and downtown Honolulu isn't where you
want to be in the later evening, either. Needless to say my boy got a big
hug from me!

I would say that backtracing is something that you can develop with your
dog, using encouragement and a lot of praise when they show you landmarks or
indicate remembering turns and things. It's just important to keep a good
balance so the dog still knows they need to follow your direction if you
don't want to actually reverse the route or maybe just want to pass a place
they remember.

Charlene