[NAGDU] Lab/goldens

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:27:17 UTC 2019

Tracy,

I think you are right about the caution being Golden. Goldens tend to
be a bit more sensitive than Labs, so it makes sense. My Golden is
definitely more cautious than the cross. In Jackie's case, it is
actually a good thing because it makes her obstacle avoidance
phenominal without compromising much else.

The mischievousness is definitely Golden as well. Golden's tend to
stay puppyish for a very long time, and they like to have some fun.

I personally haven't noticed either my cross or Golden being
destination oriented. They are equally happy with a leisure walk to
nowhere in particular and a route with a destination. As long as the
routes aren't traveled too frequently to make them boring, which they
both hate. They both live to target, but this applies to anything
along the route and not specifically the final destination.

All of the retriever breeds have a tendency to like to pick up,
retrieve, and hold things. Goldens in particular tend to be mouthy,
but don't count the Labs out either. This may or may not be as
prevalent in guide dogs since guide dog programs don't selectively
breed for retrieving ability specifically the way some other working
line breeders do. All of my GDF dogs, two crosses and a Golden,
definitely have this trait and so does my Lab mix puppy. The guide
dogs are better about picking up their toys rather than random objects
though.

Goldens also tend to be vocal, and have a tendency to rest their head on things.

Danielle