[NAGDU] FW: [GDUC Friends] CNIB Senior Staff disgusting treatment of a Guide Dog

Madison Martin maddymartin at mymts.net
Sat Jun 22 19:41:25 UTC 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: friends at guidedogs.groups.io [mailto:friends at guidedogs.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Merriman
Sent: June-22-19 9:48 AM
To: friends at guidedogs.groups.io
Subject: [GDUC Friends] CNIB Senior Staff disgusting treatment of a Guide Dog

Please pass on

				Hello All Guide Dog Users

				In their zeal to get a photo opt with Minister Qualtrough on June  20th at her ACA celebration shindig, senior CNIB staff put a Guide Dog in danger. I have posted a photo below from CNIB’s facebook page showing four people posing L-R: Ron Kruzeniski, CNIB Board Chair, Minister Carla Qualtrough, and senior CNIB staff Diane Bergeron and Thomas Simpson.

				The photo shows staff member, Thomas Simpson, in the bottom right corner, straddling Diane Bergeron's Guide Dog. He has one leg on either side of the dogs back and Diane is holding her guides harness and leash at her side.

				Thomas could have easily stepped on one of the dogs paws and If he had slipped he would have fallen on top of the dogs back, seriously injuring it. The proper way to handle this situation would have been for the handler, Diane Bergeron to have brought her guide forward in front of her, allowing space for the staff member to stand next to her without climbing over her dog. This is basic handling skills101 and a major part of the situational awareness skills we in the community must have.

				Again, I am asking the question, why is CNIB training dogs when there are already three excellent well run training facilities in Canada and many more in the United States that have served the blind community in Canada very well at no cost for over 70 years?

				A fact CNIB keeps out of their press releases and fundraising schemes making it sound like the CNIB is the only school in Canada. I guess pictures of puppies may open up more wallets and that works better to stop donations to the already existing schools in Canada.

				I hope the CNIB dog trainers do an inservice with the staff and teach them good protocols and safety when using and being around Guide Dogs at the very least.

				Next time the folks from CNIB, when you are needing a photo opt with the Minister at least ensure the Guide Dog is safe first!

				Alex

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#1509) <https://guidedogs.groups.io/g/friends/message/1509>  | Reply To Group <mailto:friends at guidedogs.groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BGDUC%20Friends%5D%20CNIB%20Senior%20Staff%20disgusting%20treatment%20of%20a%20Guide%20Dog>  | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/32168561/1607068>  | New Topic <https://guidedogs.groups.io/g/friends/post>